Dress Code Survives First Month of School

Students+and+staff+walk+the+halls+during+a+passing+period+on+Oil+Bowl+Friday.++

Students and staff walk the halls during a passing period on Oil Bowl Friday.

Samantha Zirger, Staff Writer

A month has passed since the 2015 school year began and the new Natrona County School District dress code has been put into place. The idea of a dress code was first brought up on May 8th, 2015. After further discussion, the school board passed the new dress code a month later. Since then, people in the community have formed their own opinions on the new expectations set by the school district. Some students and teachers here at Kelly Walsh High School have noticed the benefits of the new dress code, while others remain skeptical.

“I feel like it’s too abrupt and too strict. It’s just not very logical. Not everyone is enforcing it the same way, so it’s not really making a difference,” said Shanaea VanderPol, a senior. VanderPol is one of the students who still believe that the dress code isn’t very valuable.

VanderPol claims that her parents’ opinions remain more significant than any policy the schools put in place. “I dress exactly the same. It wasn’t an issue before… my parents have always respected what I wear,” VanderPol said.

Not every student, however, is affected by the dress code. Christian Thompson, a sophomore, said, “It doesn’t really bother me, because I’ve never had a problem with dress codes before.”

Gib Ostheimer, assistant principal, is a firm believer in the new guidelines the school board has set forth. Ostheimer said, “After the Facebook stuff that got out there this summer, I think kids came back to school prepared and ready to do the right thing.” From an administrator’s standpoint, Ostheimer still knows that there will always be some students that try to test it.

“The number one issue has been hats. Hats are the most visible…so it may not be the biggest issue, but it’s the one that draws the most attention. After that, I would say that it is probably shorts,” Ostheimer said.

Throughout the year, the students of Kelly Walsh will witness sunshine, snow, and nearly every forecast in between. Regardless of weather change, the new dress code is here to stay.