FFA Fundraises for Cancer Awareness

Crissa Jennings, Staff Writer

Seeing that October is Breast Cancer Awareness month the Windy City FFA is selling pink bracelets that say, “Advocate for Cancer” on them. For each bracelet purchased, all of the proceeds will then go to a cancer cause that has not yet been determined. Each bracelet was purchased from the pockets of the Windy City FFA officer team and is being sold for only three dollars from participants of FFA.

FFA is commonly referred to as the “Future Farmers of America” but that title was actually removed in 1988, it is now just known as the “National FFA Association”. This association is the largest leadership organization in the country.

Jessie Schell the sponsor for FFA said, “FFA develops leadership skills of students, promotes premier leadership personal growth, and career success. It is all extremely career driven and hopefully students will gain skills either towards a specific career or even a career that is not agricultural oriented, either way it will give them skills to succeed in which ever they choose.”

FFA is among the many clubs and activities that students of Kelly Walsh High School participate and compete in. One student who proudly represents FFA is Quentin Moter, a junior.

“I try to get as many bracelets sold as I can by talking to my classmates about it and having them spread the word to people they know, we just want people to know that FFA is trying to do something for the community and give for Cancer Awareness. With FFA we get to go on a lot of fun fieldtrips and get to compete in the things we love to while also possessing skills we will need in the future, like leadership skills and public speaking.”

Buy a bracelet to support and represent your local Windy City FFA while also donating to a serious cause in need of a cure!