Sophomore Class Spooks KW With Haunted House

Hank Hoversland

Student Council members help decorate for the sophomore class fundraiser, a haunted house, last week. The fundraiser raised over $1000 and was a huge success.

Abbey Kersenbrock, Spirit of Troy Editor

Friday and Saturday night the underground gym at KW was transformed into a fearsome and unnerving haunted house. From 8pm to midnight, crowds of students, alumni, and members of the community filed through receiving their fair share of screams. Over the course of 48 hours, the Sophomore class was able to raise over 1,000 dollars. The members of the Class of 2018 will put all of the money towards Prom 2017.

Sophomore class president, Hannah Henry, put in countless hours of work to ensure that the haunted house went off without a hitch. Henry had an excellent time and believes that the hard work paid off. “My favorite part was hearing everyone talk about it as they went through. I never heard anything negative and many of the people wanted it to be longer,” said Henry.

Emily Applegate, another sophomore class officer, worked alongside Henry to create the spooky effects. Applegate agreed that the best part was seeing everyone’s reactions. “Hannah and I have been planning the haunted house since summer so it was really great to see the pay off,” said Applegate.

Without a doubt, the sophomores put in a significant amount of work, but they admit they couldn’t have done it without the help of many staff and community members. “We had a couple people show up who donated so much of their Halloween supplies and time. Our biggest help came from Kyra Smith and her parents, our sponsor Ms. Roberson, Mrs. Williams, and Mrs. Rose. All of them made this project possible,” said Henry.

The sophomore class is looking forward to upcoming events. Their officers have made it clear that they intend to plan many more activities for the school and community.

Not only was the haunted house a success for the students who planned it, but the participants as well. Molly Fretland, a senior, attended the spook fest on Friday night with a group of friends. “The scariest part was probably the people in the cages and also the elevator ride down! They did a really good job… I was extremely impressed,” said Fretland.

From the creepy elevator to the haunted schoolyard and even the living room that sent chills down its visitors’ spines, the class of 2018 struck wild success with their haunted house. The KW student body looks forward to their future events.