Always a TROJAN

Maddy Jaquez, Staff Writer

For many, all four years of high school are the most memorable moments and best time of their lives.

Though this can be true, there have also been people who say that college is even better, that you find your dearest friends and future there.

Everyone has their opinion about one thing or another, but high school is a big deal to leave.

As school quickly comes to an end for the seniors, there are other goods life offers for people. Weather these things be going to college, getting a job, or going on to do other exciting things.

This year is very special for Kelly Walsh seniors because it will be the very first graduating class out of the new school that was built.

It is a bittersweet realization for the graduating class of 2017, due to them being in the old high school all three years until their senior year, watching the old school being torn down.

A senior Caleigh Burgan says that she loves the new school but also misses the old.

“I’m really happy to be a part of a new legacy, but it just doesn’t feel like home to me. Everything has changed, but I haven’t been able to really adapt to it.”

Another senior Ben Gallagher had another perspective about it.

“I absolutely thought it was sad watching the old school get torn down because it has held so many memories.”

Aside from it being a sad yet happy event, the class of 2017 will also be making history.

The first graduating class at Kelly Walsh in 1967, had around 200 graduates.  The first graduating class out of the new school (class of 2017), graduated around 400.  The class of 2017 is the largest graduating class in KW history, which is actually pretty cool.

It is pretty powerful for these students to be a part of it and to be able to tell their kids one day about how they made history at Kelly Walsh by being the first graduating class out of the high school.

As the class of 2017 moves on, leaving behind the teachers and classmates who have left a big impact on their lives, they will always be a Trojan at heart.  They will be going on with their lives and starting a new chapter, but they will always hold close those memories that the old and new Kelly Walsh brought them.

The class of 2017 will never be forgotten by leaving behind a legacy and being the first of many, to graduate out of the new Kelly Walsh High School.

No matter old or new, at the end of the day we are still Kelly Walsh. “Preparing all students for their next step.”