Dealing with Injuries During Sports

Noelle Vigneri gets treatment from trainer Chelsie Johnson after breaking her leg in a game against Buffalo.

Kyleigh Doody, Staff Writer

Being injured during your season can sometimes feel like the end of the world. Many athletes try to take their athletic career past high school, but when you tear a muscle or break a bone, that can cause an obstacle in your athletic career.

“Sitting out of the season after tearing my ACL was nothing short of heartbreak. You go from sweat and tears on the court to just tears from not being there to help your team,” said Matt Hays, a sophomore.

Hays tore his ACL at the beginning of his sophomore basketball season where he was going to be playing with the varsity and junior varsity teams. He dressed up for every game and sat next to his teammates on the bench very upset that this happened to him, but also kept his head up for his teammates.

“To support my team, all I could give was moral support. Wishing them good luck, a fist bump, or just being there as someone to talk to before and after their games. Especially the sophomores, this was all new to all of us, and once I got hurt the only way I could help them was by helping them stay solid,” said Hays.

Noelle Vigneri, a sophomore, broke her tibia in the second game of the of the soccer season.  She has been a starter since her freshman year. She was excited for the new season with all her teammates up to that day.

“Right after getting hurt you feel sick to your stomach, almost like you let your teammates and coaches down and there is nothing you can do about it. Once you get back out there and get a taste of what you have been missing you just want more. I would pretend to kick a soccer ball around while I had my boot, but actually have a ball to my feet and being able to play was one of the best feelings ever,” said Vigneri.

Most athletes when you ask them about their injury they explain it as a disappointing feeling. They feel bad for letting their teammates down but at the same time are anxious to get back out there.