KW Marching Band best in state at Trooper Invitational

Tori Bailey, Staff Writer

The Kelly Walsh marching band competed in the TrooperMarching Band Invitational invitational on October 1st, taking 2nd overall but taking 1st in the state of Wyoming.  The 1st place trophy went to Steven’s High School out of Rapid City, South Dakota.

The band was lead by Mr. Brent Rose and senior drum majors, Lia Kopp, Torin Perret, and Madison Coventry.  The show the band performed this year is “Angels and Demons”.

The band dedicates a great portion of their success to the student leaders, or section leaders, that are in the band. “It’s like having 15 directors on the field at once,” said Rose.

The band practices every day during class, which is an hour and a half, but without the drum line. The whole band does not come together until after school, two days a week, working for 2 hours on the field in the rain, snow, or shine.

In the band there are all sorts of instruments, but there is also color guard.

Jaime Cody, the color guard captain, said “Kelly Walsh’s guard is different from other color guards because the guard works together as a team where as other color guards give each person a different role in the marching show.” Cody is hoping that the color guard will take home the color guard caption at state to make all the hard work, preparation, and determination pay off.  

The band is preparing for Wyoming State Marching Band on October 15th. The band is set to take the field at Casper Event Center at 7:15 pm. Getting ready for state, director Brent Rose says he feels his band is very strong and very prepared. Rose also says he thinks marching band camp, taking place over the summer in Laramie, helped the band to be more prepared for competition this year in comparison to last.

The band is hoping to “win” state marching band. However, state marching band gives out award caption based on how many points the band received in those areas. Director Rose encourages the people from Casper to come watch the event and support the bands from all over the state of Wyoming.