Homecoming Week 2015 is Here

Tanner Christensen, Noah Kaufmann, Dalton Blase and Pepe Goerlich-Leon wear their red, white and blue for ‘Merica Monday of homecoming week. Kaufmann and Goerlich-Leon are foreign exchange students from Switzerland and Spain and are experiencing their first American spirit week at KW.

Abbey Kersenbrock, Spirit of Troy Editor

Beginning this Monday, October 12th, the KW Student Council began it’s homecoming week activities. The students in the council decided they would focus on a few key pieces of the traditional week rather than trying to overwhelm the already busy student body with a plethora of additional activities like they had in years past.

Of course, this week will include five days full of dress-up spirit. Monday students were asked to wear their best patriotic gear for ‘Merica Monday. Tuesday the council expects to see a flood of Hawaiian shirts for Tacky Tourist Tuesday. Wednesday earned its name from the popular “what are thoooose” Vines poking fun at odd shoes. Thursday, students will be asked to dress up with your friends for Squad Thursday, an adaptation of the popular twin day. And last but not least, for the sake of tradition, Friday will be KW Spirit day.

Dalton Blase, Student Body Vice President, is eager to participate in this week’s festivities. Blase is a dedicated member of student council and an avid Trojan fan. “I wish everyday was filled with the spirit I feel during homecoming week. Kelly Walsh is basically my home and when everyone is this excited to be here, I feel like I’m really coming home,” said Blase.

Along with dress-up days, the student council will hold an assembly Friday morning during blocks one and two. However, the assembly has a slightly larger purpose than to get the boys in green pumped for the big game; the ultimate goal is to include as many groups and individuals as possible. Through an inclusive slideshow and club performances, KW will showcase many of it’s talented. Homecoming coronation will also take place Friday morning. The king and queen will be crowned along with four attendants. The homecoming court will get their chance to shine again at half time during the game.

Emily Applegate, a Sophomore Class Officer, is also extremely excited about homecoming week. “My favorite part of homecoming week is the assembly because it brings the students together and we learn about our achievements in all of the fall activities and sports,” said Applegate.

As the week goes on, post your pictures showing school spirit to Instagram and Twitter using the hashtag #TROYcoming2k15 for a chance to be featured in the assembly slideshow.

Friday night, when the sun goes down and the anthem has been sung, the student council is hopeful that the student section at KW will be filled with more school spirit than ever. You are encouraged to wear green and white with an especially large amount of pride this week. Go big green!