Forever true we’ll be…even in the pouring rain

Abbey Kersenbrock, Spirit of Troy Editor

Just minutes before kick-off at Friday’s annual Oil Bowl the rain began to pour. Mother nature’s “show” meant a thirty minute delay for the fans and players eagerly awaiting the start of the game each time lightening struck. Administration from both schools warned the Trojan fans to take shelter and move away from the open air, but that didn’t seem to slow the school spirit. The Kelly Walsh students persevered. Nearly an hour and a half later the lightening ceased, the game finally began, and the student section was more alive than ever.

Jeremy Miller, a senior, has attended the Oil Bowl all four years of high school. Miller and his friends waited out the delay to cheer on the Trojans. “I stayed in the student section and fought nature, I risked death, but I would do anything for this school,” Miller said.

Miller wasn’t the only one who prioritized cheering over the weather risk. Baylie Fresquez, a senior, recently transferred to KW from a Las Vegas high school. Fresquez is a member of the varsity cheer squad and notices significant differences from the school she left. “The game was freezing, but It was a really good experience. I’ve never seen students scream and cheer the entire game never giving up on their team. The fact that so many students stayed until the delay was over to watch the game shows true school spirit,” Fresquez said. “Coming from a school of 4,000 students, our school wasn’t one big family. We never all came together like KW and cheered on our team win or lose. The school spirit really changes the high school vibe.”

The ruined curly hair, the soaking wet clothes, and the endless cups of hot chocolate were all worth it for the fans of KW. Even as the rain poured, the support for the boys in green never waned.