Young Team-Great Expectations

Crissa Jennings, Staff Writer

This years Kelly Walsh varsity volleyball team has a more age diverse and unique team than ever before, which they plan to use to their advantage. The team is currently 17-10 and has a total of fourteen players on varsity, six of which are underclassmen.

Jeff Barkell, has been the head coach of the volleyball program at Kelly Walsh for the past 15 years. “The purpose of Varsity Volleyball at Kelly Walsh is to build strong young women who have the ability to problem solve, compete at a high level, and become leaders in the real world,” Barkell said.

This new group of players is doing just that. Molly Fretland, a senior, sees major potential among herself and her teammates.

“For me personally I have had to really step up as a leader, and take on a role that I haven’t had to fill before, because the younger girls on the team haven’t yet experienced competing at a varsity level and the responsibilities and pressures that come with it,” Fretland said.

The variety of different ages and skill levels are forming a foundation that will create a team that is difficult to compete against for the years to come at Kelly Walsh. Madison Vinich has played a significant role on the varsity court starting her freshman year. Now, as a sophomore, Vinich can express the changes she experienced from only one-year prior.

“I absolutely feel more comfortable. Before each game the team bonds together and that helps get my mind off the game enough to where I am not as nervous. Having an extra year on the court definitely made a difference for me that can be seen. It’s become easier to read other players to see where the ball is going in order to make a good defensive play. That skill will also become an advantage for all the younger players this year who will be growing a ton and within the next two or three years. They will be used to the flow and speed of the game.”

This sort of growth doesn’t develop within one season of a sport; it takes dedication and determination from every player to make a full working force. Hadley Lloyd, a freshman, already earned her spot on the varsity court. “Attending open gyms and camps this summer helped to get to play with the other varsity girls who welcomed me, but also expected me to come ready to play. Those expectations don’t change just because you’re younger and I know I need to earn my spot every day. I am excited about our potential these next few years, making these transitions early will help us in the long run,” Lloyd said.

Like every sports team, the Varsity Volleyball team at Kelly Walsh still has improvements to make and adjustments to set in place. They are creating an environment through every practice and game that will help the team as a whole live up to the great expectations they have set forth.