Horror Movie Season

Denise Mercado, Spirit of Troy Editor

The month of October is the time of year when the public brings out the scary monster costumes, spider and skeleton props, and of course, jack-o-lanterns filled to the top with loads of candy. Not only is it the month of trick-or-treating, but it also comes with a tradition of watching horror movies, past or current. But the real question here is, why do people love horror movies? Is it because of the intense feeling of excitement or the gleeful sense of relief in the end?

Freshman Jazmine Stovall said, “ I like horror movies because it clicks with me and I like the feeling of being scared. I never get bad dreams from them either. If it has a good plot, then I will definitely like it. I do not have an exact favorite horror movie, but I just love watching them.”

While some people love the extreme feeling of scary movies, there are also others that will never watch one as long as an individual wants. It is no one’s fault that a person cannot handle the slight traumatic yet soothing experience of watching a horror film; everyone has a reason. It could be that one did not grow up watching scary movies or reading scary stories, or working with stress does not fit well with someone’s lifestyle. 

“I do not particularly like horror movies because they scare me. I do like comedy movies though. My favorite one would have to be The Breakfast Club because the sense of humor is relatable. The fact that the setting is at a high school, it makes it easier for teenagers to understand what the characters are going through,” said senior Randy Sletten.

According to Penn Medicine, the horror genre has pulled in billions of dollars from tickets sold alone since 1931. On the 18th of October 2019, the new movie Zombieland 2: Double Tap, is being released nationwide in the United States. 2000 babies were and still are excited for the Terminator-themed film following new characters and movie venues. Also, according to The New York Times, scary movies involving clowns, dolls, and infectious viruses spreading throughout the globe have earned an approximate amount of $733 million in sales in 2017, making it the best year in horror history. But, regardless of the sweaty palms, nightmares, and piles of bills for hypnosis sessions, the public still asks for better horror movies to be released each and every year.