KW Tennis Finishes Year Strong

Laura Hoversland, Staff Writer

The Kelly Walsh Tennis teams competed in the state tournament this past weekend from September 26th to the 28th in Gillette. The tournament was scheduled to take place on outdoor courts and on the indoor courts, but due to weather, all the matches were moved to indoor courts at the Rec Center that houses five courts.

The girls’ team began the season with the ultimate goal of winning the state tournament, but unfortunately fell short of that, placing fourth out of the 16 teams competing overall.

Finley Klinger, a singles player for the girls, said  “I’m happy about how the season went. I mean it didn’t end up quite how I wanted it to, but I’m excited to take what I’ve learned and put it towards next season,” indicating that winning the state championship next season is already on everybody’s radar. This sentiment was upheld by junior Camden Ballard, a member of the state team.

“State was such an amazing experience, and I know we are all eager to grow and improve as players and a team to be prepared to win a state title next year,” said Ballard.

The goal that Klinger alluded to is more than attainable because their team will put in work over the offseason and they have spring season to prepare them as well. Another helpful factor is the youth of the team that allows them to develop over the years.

The men’s team, similar to the women’s team, wanted the season to end with a state championship trophy in their hands. Instead, they placed third place and were happy with that placing. A pleasant surprise and first place finish by their number two doubles team, consisting of senior Colton Allaire and sophomore Parker Phillips, can be attributed to this high, overall team placing. Winning their division was not easy, as they had to beat out four other pairs, including Powell’s duo of Dillivan and Bartholomew in the final match.

Although it was not a breeze, it was all worth it according to Phillips because it “takes a lot of hard work and effort but it all pays off in the end and I couldn’t have done it without my partner who picked me up when I was down.”

The men’s team will use this offseason and spring season as well to reach their ultimate goal of earning and winning first place as a team next season.