Benefits to Extracurricular Activities

Danilynn Schell, Staff Writer

Parents always try to take action for their children to form new relationships and be around a safe environment. Sometimes it can be difficult for children to know what they’re interested in, but there are many different ways, that can help provide a way in branching out and finding new clubs, activites, and athletics, that are open to students to participate in.

Many parents think that athletics and activities distracts and takes time away from student’s school work, but it has been proven not to be true. Not only does being involved with extracurricular activities helps with building new relationships with other students and becoming successful in school.

“It has made me keep my grades up and taught me to have a good work ethic. It has also made me have several close relationships that I get to go through high school with” said, junior, Sarah Strube. Activities have helped increase brain function and time management, which can help contribute to good grades and success in school.

It’s important for students to develop real world skills that will be useful for life after high school. Activities and athletics can help with teaching leadership and problem solving skills. Students learn about the responsibility of vital roles in an activity or sport. Leadership isn’t always about being the best but it’s about taking responsibility and become a role model towards other people.

Another important skill developed is teamwork. It’s important to learn how to work with others.  Also activities help with building stronger relationships and communication with other people. It’s important for the development of social skills, communication, and confidence.

One of the most important reasons why students participate in activities and athletics because it has helped with reducing pressure, stress and develops an active lifestyle. Having hard work pay off and achieving your goals develops self-confidence. Many people use activities and athletics as a natural way to loosen up and let go of stress.

“Some benefits for me are learning lessons that can’t be learned anywhere else,” said junior, Kevin Anderson. These skills are needed and are beneficial in order to be successful in life.

The more students push themselves in extracurricular activities, the more developed skills students will have. There are much more benefits in participating in activities and activities that outweigh disadvantages. As a student athlete, being involved in sports, has helped me become successful and develop important skills that will be used in the real world.