Kelly Kall

Trojan Wrestlers Take Miller Cup

Miller Cup Champs!  The 2018 Trojan Wrestlers Dominated the Mustangs for only their second win since the trophy was started in 2000.

Miller Cup Champs! The 2018 Trojan Wrestlers Dominated the Mustangs for only their second win since the trophy was started in 2000.

Ashlynn Peverley, Staff Writer

On the evening of Thursday, February 8, Casper fans gathered in the Kelly Walsh gym to cheer on the Mustang and Trojan wrestlers for the Miller Cup. The Miller Cup is an annual wrestling dual held between Natrona County and Kelly Walsh. The Miller Cup started in 2000 and was named after John Miller, a coach from Natrona County High School. The wrestling rivalry began long before. Like the Oil Bowl and the Peach Basket, the Miller Cup is one of the most popular rivalry matchups in Casper between KW and NC each year. Since 2000, Kelly Walsh had only ever won the trophy and title once before this year. The win was exciting and unexpected for the wrestlers.

When asked about winning the Miller Cup Jace Palmer, a sophomore, said “I felt fine about it, it was cool to win as a team and I think it really hyped us up as we get ready to go into regionals and state. I liked winning the Miller Cup because it is nice winning the rivalry too.”

The wrestlers have had to deal with a lot of adversity off of the mat this season and this win helped them to focus on what is really important and keep their mindset positive. They remembered they are more than a wrestling team, they are family.

When asked what is truly like to be apart of the Kelly Walsh wrestling team Kevin Anderson, also a sophomore, said, “It is fun because we are pretty good this year and so when we win it is super cool.”

The wrestling team has over 20 members, ranging in age from freshman to seniors. The Kelly Walsh wrestling team is full of close relationships, including three different sets of brothers, the Nathans, the Palmers, and the Krouses.

Senior captain, Caleb Nathan, talks about his second and final Miller Cup. “I felt good about it because we were able to get the Miller Cup for my last year and finish with a win which we have only ever done twice in its history, so that was pretty cool,” Nathan said.

The Miller Cup was an unforgettable night as the Trojans took home the victory trophy. It seemed the Trojans weren’t just winning the rivalry trophy in one sport though, as they also collected the boys and girls Peach Basket with a sweep the Friday night following the Miller Cup.