Trojan Hoops Win BOTH Peach Basket Trophies

The Lady Trojans pose with the Peach Basket Trophy for the first time in 8 years. The Lady Trojans won 51-42. The Trojans also won the trophy on the boys side with a final score of 55-47. This is the first time both trophies will both be at KW since 1996.

Jillian Phipps, Staff Writer

The Kelly Walsh basketball team is something to be excited about this year. The Kelly Walsh girls have won the Peach Basket for the first time in 8 years. The boys also defeated the cross-town rival, bringing home the trophy for the 4th time since Randy Roden began coaching in the 2011-12 season. This is the first year that both the boys and girls team have won in the same year since 1996.

The girls game began with both teams neck and neck within the first minutes of the game. The Fillies soon overpowered the scoreboard, while the Trojan’s followed slightly behind. This lead quickly changed with senior Madison Vinich draining a three from the corner and a swift layup from sophomore Corin Carruth, bringing the score to 42-40 favoring the Trojans.

Carruth described the close score as “extremely motivating because we were so close to the chance of winning that it pushed us to work even harder.”

From here the Fillies and Trojans battled back and forth to keep a lead. The Trojans stayed consistent throughout the game with each player adding a copious amount of points to the scoreboard. With each gain by Natrona, the Trojans were quick to reply with a greater advance. The game ended with senior Hallie Jimenez making five out of six free throws in the last minute, carrying the final score to 51-42 for a Trojans win.

Vinich explained that it felt nice winning the Peach Basket. “I’ve never won one out of my four years. We’re finally showing that our basketball program is on the rise and I think people are starting to realize that.”

Much like the Lady Trojans, the boys team began with an extremely close game that did not allow for much of a run from either team. The crucial points scored in the second quarter by junior Sage Coventry and sophomore Michael Bradley gave the Trojans a 17-10 lead. The Mustangs were quick to close the gap, but the Trojans repeatedly denied them from gaining a lead.

Bradley played a big role in the matchup. He had no problem hitting a three from any spot on the court when the team needed him the most. Coventry displayed exemplary defense that went unmatched through all four quarters. His motivation to work hard and win the game “came from the rivalry and the thought of being able to hold the trophy at the end of the night.”

The Trojans held onto their lead through the last minutes to win it by a score of 55-47.

Junior Ross Padilla said,  “This was a very big win. Any time we play Natrona it’s a really high emotion and high intensity game. With the big crowd and fans really into it, it’s just awesome. To have the Peach Basket at Kelly was really special. We knew coming in if we executed and did the things we needed to, then we could come out with a win. We also knew no matter how good either team is, year to year it’s always a close game. This was really good for our confidence after coming back from a loss last week. I’m proud of how our guys responded to a tough week of practice with illnesses and injuries, and how hard we played. It was really a big win for us and our fans.”