Kelly Kall

Wreaths Across America

Ariana Ellis, Staff Writer

Remember our fallen U.S. soldiers, honor those who serve, and teach your children the value of freedom is the mission of a program called Wreaths Across America that honors veterans who have fallen in December. This program started in Wyoming in 2012 and has donated, fundraised, and laid wreaths in honor of the fallen veterans.

This year the event is held on December 16 at the Oregon Trail Veterans Cemetery in Evansville. Many people are very enthused to participate and raise money for this cause including Jill Thompson, a business teacher and DECA advisor at Kelly Walsh.

“Oh my gosh, I am so excited! What a wonderful way to honor our nation’s veterans, and it’s a great opportunity for the people in our community to come together to show that support,” Thompson said.

Thompson and her DECA students have fundraised money to purchase wreaths for the cause. Anyone who want to participate is welcome. The event starts at ten o’clock in the morning with a ceremony and after words the wreath laying will continue until they all have been placed on a grave. Donations for this year are no longer being accepted, but donations for next year are already being collected and very appreciated. The goal for every year is to place a wreath on every one of the 2,700 graves at the Oregon Trail Veterans Cemetery.

“I think it’s a really cool organization, the thing that they do really honors people,” Hannah Weader, a freshman at Kelly Walsh said.

This program honors veterans and thanks people who are currently serving by hosting a National Wreaths Across America Day in December during the Christmas season. This time of the year is very important to some people because the holidays are about family and friends. Since the program is during the Christmas season, people might put more significance to it because this time of year is about giving.

“Giving is giving, whenever we give, we always feel good about giving and so I think the significance is more because it is Christmas and we are around our loved ones and our family members,” Brandon Schafer, a teacher and coach at Kelly Walsh said. Schafer is a veteran who served in Iraq for six and a half years.

The mission of Wreaths Across America is to Remember, Honor, and Teach, which is the very foundation of what they are trying to accomplish. This program is one of many ways we are able to honor and thank the veterans who risk their lives to protect the country and freedom.