Kelly Kall

Welcome to the Winter Sports Season

Sophomore Corin Carruth looks for a pass in a game against Jackson.  KW hosted the Fremont Motors Tournament over the weekend of December 7-9.

Sophomore Corin Carruth looks for a pass in a game against Jackson. KW hosted the Fremont Motors Tournament over the weekend of December 7-9.

Mackenzie Kern, Staff Writer

The Kelly Walsh winter sports season is here, and is coming in strong.

The wrestling team started practicing immediately after Thanksgiving break. And look to build on a successful season last year.  Javen Palmer, a senior, is more than ready to start off the season strong.

“I am really excited for state and I want to come back strong and win this year,” said Palmer. .

The basketball girls are excited to start their season as well.

“I am excited to spend time with the girls on the team and finish out my senior year strong. I want to make memories and be as successful as we can be as a team,” said Maddy Vinich, a senior.

Vinich is not the only one excited about the start of a new season Jamia Johnson, a senior, is looking forward to the season and being with her teammates.

“I am excited about being with my friends and getting as far as we can in the state tournament. We definitely want to win regionals and make it past the first round in state, we obviously want to win the Peach Basket too,” said Johnson.

Being a part of any sport requires great dedication, especially in the winter. From early practices to practices being two times a day, Kelly Walsh athletes work hard in order to not only to stay eligible, but come out on top in their sport of choice.  It is not an easy task, but it will always be worth it to put in twice as much work in order to do what they love.

For the first time in years, the Peach Basket will be held in the Kelly Walsh gym.  The rivalry game between KW and NC has been played at Casper College and the Events Center for the last 30+ years because neither school’s gyms could accommodate the amount of spectators. This is sure to be a really exciting game for both the girls and boys basketball team.

The wrestling team will be competing a lot in December, but the first home match won’t be until January 12th, 2018.