Trump’s Social Media Presence

Hannah Smothers, Staff Writer

Over the last election year and Trump’s first days of holding office, our president has drawn a lot of attention to himself through his dominating social media presence. Mainly his tweets had accumulated the most controversy over this time. Is the controversy justified? Should Trump be more presidential?

We’ve all seen some of Donald’s more disputed tweets, like this one: “The concept of global warming was created by and for the Chinese in order to make U.S. manufacturing non-competitive.” This specific tweet has created a lot of debate over if Trump is actually smart enough to be our leader. Climate change is a fact that has had countless studies to back it up. Trump’s campaign later said the tweet was a joke, but the world doesn’t know what to believe.

Another tweet that is probably the most debated is the one that states: “Terrible! Just found out that Obama had my “wires tapped” just before the victory. Nothing found. This is McCarthyism!” When the F.B.I. looked into it, the claim was found baseless. Obama has been the subject of many of Trump’s tweets. Another famous one is, “An ‘extremely credible source’ has called my office and told me that @BarackObama’s birth certificate is a fraud.” During Obama’s campaign in 2008, an image of his birth certificate was released and proven to be real.

One of the most interesting genre of Trump tweet is those that personally go after people. One tweet says, “While @BetteMidler is an extremely unattractive woman, I refuse to say that because I always insist on being politically correct.”

Tess Kurka, sophomore here at Kelly said, “It makes me angry that he thinks people care about his opinion. His general media presence isn’t politically correct despite what he thinks.”

Justice Greer, a sophomore, said in response to these tweets, “I think he’s acting extremely childish in these tweets. Trump kind of looks like a petty 15 year old girl with an iPhone.”

Some kids here, however, see Trump’s media as funny. “I think Trump’s media presence is amazing. He always knows how to get people’s attention, but his tweets are hilarious in a stupid way. No matter what he says, even if it were to be like, ‘Avacados have fat’, he would find a way to make it controversial,” said Raedyn Vidal, a junior.

Despite party, everyone can agree that Trump really likes his tweets, and we can’t wait to hear what he’ll say next.