Students shine at annual film festival

Abbey Kersenbrock, Staff Writer

On April 28th, the Rialto Theater in Casper hosted the 18th annual Wyoming High School Short Film Festival. Kelly Walsh students in the audio-visual class flooded the competition with ten total entries. Each film, with a ten minute limit, brought a new theme to the table and targeted a different audience. From serious themes, to music videos, to comedies, to sequels, the night provided everyone in the audience with something that would peak their interest.

The films created by KW students included The Dragons Wrath, The Revenge of the Atomic Assassin, Under the Bed, Summer 2k15, Our Dream, Never Catch Me, The Text, W.D.Y.W.F.M.,The Mug, and Losers. Among these short films, six students received awards at the end of the festival ceremony. Though six were recognized through awards, each film received an ovation and endless compliments from those in attendance.

Best Directer was awarded to Taylor Callies for her work in creating Under the Bed. This spooky short film sent chills down the spines of everyone in the audience following a boy in his mother when a bedtime story turns into a horror.

Best Editor was awarded to Jeremy Miller for his GoPro creation Summer 2k15. This compilation of summer adventure clips was energy-filled and exciting as Miller took us through his summer travels and sunny lake days.

Best Actor was awarded to Dayne Doney and Payton Wetzel who shared the award for their acting in Dragons Wrath. This film was the conclusion to the Monkey’s Claw trilogy and the cast’s third time returning to the festival with this collection of movies. The cast included both current students and alumni as well.

Drew Fritzler also received Honorable Mention for Sound Design in Dragons Wrath. Fritzler provided excellent editing in each action packed scene throughout the film. The fighting scenes and voice overs enhanced every portion of the movie. This is Fritzler’s second year participating in the contest and took part in three entries this year alone. “I enjoyed all the films at the festival, but Dragon’s Wrath was probably the best film all around,” Fritzler said.

Last but definitely not least, Nick Steele received Honorable Mention for Best Actor in The Revenge of the Atomic Assassin. Steele plays the Vice President of the United States and gives an incredible performance in his efforts to take down the Atomic Assassin once and for all. Steele also had a part in The Mug earlier in the evening.

The Wyoming High School Short Film Festival gives our school community the opportunity to recognize some impressive students that put in a lot of time and effort behind the scenes. Their work on Troy TV and creating each of their films does not go unnoticed among the rest of the KW population, and the audience is looking forward to more films in the coming years.