Programming Club at KW: A ‘Nerd’s’ Dream Club

Ellie Rone, Staff Writer

While most kids are going home, heading to practice, or going to work, a select few Kelly Walsh Trojans stay after the bell in Mrs. Underwood’s classroom for Programing Club.

The club meets once a week for at least two hours working on many different projects that they envision on their own. The club’s main focus for the first part of the year was building their quad-copter, which required the members to build a special program and make 3-D prints for all of the parts.

All the members of the club are currently taking Mrs. Underwood’s programming courses. Including the team captain, or team “nerd” as they call him, Conner Brewster. Brewster, a senior, ran with the idea of a programing club when Mrs. Underwood mentioned it to him.

“We learn all the basics of programing in our class and then we take what we’ve learned and use it to complete projects we come up with” said Brewster.

Along with Brewster there are several other “nerds” who are regular attendees of the club.

“We have a constant project we are working on, and it’s not required or mandatory for us to come each week, but since we always have on-going projects we keep coming back,” said Zach Whipps, a senior.

Each week Brewster prepares a power-point to show to his ten other fellow members before they begin their project for the evening.

Mrs. Underwood the club’s advisor, said, “More than anything, I wanted them to have a place where they could enhance their learning and have a little more fun with programming in general, instead of just being limited to what I assign them in class. Now they have the ability to do whatever they want to.”

The club had successful flights when testing their quad-copter, and they plan on making even further advancements to the device.

Now that they are finished with their copter they are planning on focusing on other things.

“We finished the quad-copter and now we are focusing more on programing, we are working on building a game, so instead of one person building it alone we are working on it together” said Whipps.

The programming club – “Nerd Club” – has created an environment for the programming nerds at Kelly Walsh. Each student who participates is one who wishes to use the skills that they learn in class to create things that reflect their own creativity.