This is OUR House

The Lady Trojans celebrate their first win against Natrona this season in the last game to ever be played in the original KW gym. The Lady Trojans took the regional championship 3 games to 1, and secured a number 1 seed for the state tournament.

Abbey Kersenbrock, Spirit of Troy Editor

Following Saturday’s 4A West Regional Championship, a different feeling came over the main gym at Kelly Walsh. In addition to winning the game and receiving the first place regional title, the lady Trojans got to create a piece of history. Because this was the last volleyball game to ever be played in the gym at KW, the win signified that the gym was truly “our house”… forever.

Molly Fretland, a senior, had 14 kills and 6 blocks through the course of Saturday’s game. “It was really bittersweet to know that this was the last game to ever be played in that gym. Just knowing it was the last game was such a special thing and winning regionals made it even better,” said Fretland. “The feeling you get after winning in our gym is truly indescribable. It’s amazing, and all the support we get from parents, students, and teachers just makes it so much better.”

Not only were the lady Trojans playing for a title, the team was also facing the pressure of going up against the Fillies in the final game. This game marked the fourth cross-town rivalry game among the two schools just this season. Despite the outcome of the other three games, Kelly Walsh took the game and the title in just four sets.

Vivian Bekke, a senior, knows what it feels like to be playing in front of a gym covered in green and orange. “Playing NC three times before helped us to realize that we have to start the game with as much energy as possible. Not only that, but we have to play as a team because when we play for ourselves we aren’t nearly as good,” said Bekke.

The Trojans were down by 8 points in the first set and didn’t gain a lead until 26-25. The rallies continued until eventually the Trojans edged the Fillies out 32-30. Among other key players were Madison Vinich with 21 kills and 11 digs, Payton Stack with 10 kills, and Bailey Neff with 29 assists. Each member of the team was crucial to the win.

Caitlyn Burkett, a senior, had 27 assists during the game. Along with Fretland, Burkett knows that having support from everyone in the stands is vital in playing at their full potential. “Of course a huge crowd helps the team during games. Volleyball is really a game of energy and intensity. Knowing our Trojan family is behind us win or lose is truly a special thing. The support we have from our school is the reason we have come this far. We play for each other and to make our school proud, so having all of our fans yelling and screaming with us and for us really makes a difference,” said Burkett.

Malaya Morisette, a senior, believes that this win will add a needed level of confidence to the team’s attitude going into the state tournament. “Winning regionals puts us in a good position to make it to the finals. It gives us a boost of confidence and the attitude to fight like we want to– just go in and kill it. We still know this is going to be a battle, but now we know what our full potential is. Being in the position we are in ultimately gives us a better shot at state,” said Morisette.

Since the original bricks of Kelly Walsh were laid, countless games have been played on the hardwood in that gym. Countless teams have made memories. Countless coaches have had moments of insane pride. On Saturday, the Lady Trojans left their legacy as the nets went down one last time, gifting everyone in that gym a heart full of pride and a memory to last forever.

The Trojans will enter the state tournament with the number one seed in the West and take on the Plainsmen of Laramie High School this Thursday at 6:00pm at the Casper Events Center.