Lia Kopp Receives All-American Honor

Officers of the U.S. Army present KW senior, Lia Kopp with a jacket and an invitation to take part in the All-American Bowl half time show. Kopp will perform with the nations best high school band musicians in San Antonio on January 7th.

Tori Bailey, Staff Writer

Thursday, October 20, 2016, Kelly Walsh hosted a ceremony to congratulate senior, Lia Kopp, on her acceptance into the All-American Marching Band. Lia was selected from over 500 auditions to be one of the 125 top marching musicians in the country.

The All-American Marching Band, founded in 2008, is a group of 125 seniors who will be marching in the Alamodome in San Antonio, TX.

These musicians will march the halftime show during the All-American Bowl, where 90 senior football players have been selected to play the “premier high school football game in the nation”.

To be accepted into the marching band, students must first be nominated by their director. The nominees for the 2017 All-American Bowl, from Kelly Walsh were, Cailin Hodgson, Hailey Martin, Leslie Podjun, Lia Kopp, Michaella Dukart, Richelle Dietz, Tori Bailey, and Tori Strom.

After a student has been nominated they must complete an online audition including a solo video showing their musical talents, a marching and playing video showing their marching skills, and a self introduction video showing what kind of character they have. Each video must be no more than one minute long.

Kopp was nominated by director, Brent Rose in the fall of her junior year, submitted her application in the spring, and was notified of her acceptance by the National Association for Music Educators in late July. Kopp is the drum major for the Kelly Walsh Marching Band.

“It is different and nerve racking to walk onto a field and march instead of conduct. I haven’t marched in a couple of years so hopefully it goes well,”said Kopp.

This year, Kopp is the only student in the entire Northwest Region including Wyoming, Colorado, Montana, Oregon, Washington, Idaho and Alaska.

“It’s a really big honor and I’m really excited to represent Wyoming and KW in this band,” said Lia, the only Wyoming student ever accepted in this band.

Lia will travel to San Antonio with all expenses paid by the U.S. Army during January of 2017. During bowl week, the band members will receive instruction from top collegiate, high school, and drum and bugle corps instructors from across the country as well as educational session with members of the U.S Army Field Band.

Lia’s sister, Ali Kopp, was given the Dream Champion Award, presented by American Family Insurance, for her support of her sister. Director Brent Rose will also travel with Lia to the All-American Bowl. The game will take place on Saturday, January 7, 2017.