Here Comes the BOO!

KW Cheer team impresses student body with Halloween themed routine for the Homecoming Assembly

Ellie Rone, Staff Writer

The Kelly Walsh Cheerleaders had their entire student body’s jaw dropping Friday morning at their homecoming assembly performance. The Cheerleaders walked in with faces covered with make-up making them unrecognizable and scary. This disguise was far from their traditional look of high ponytails topped with a pretty pink bow. As soon as their Halloween based music started to play and they began their scary routine, the student body burst into cheers. There was never a dull moment and they made sure to keep their audience on the edge of their seats for the entire show.

“After Coach Bekke told us about the Halloween routine I was so pumped, I could imagine a routine in my head and it was so amazing, I got goose-bumps. She showed us the music and everyone started screaming. At practices all we could think about was choreographing this routine,” said Jade Palmer, a junior on the varsity cheer squad.

The girls all managed to keep straight faces during the routine not showing even the slightest hints of smiles. “All of us knew how important this routine was and smiling would take the effect away. And nerves,” said Palmer.

“I really had to focus on not smiling because I normally would smile a lot. Some of the other girls bit the inside of their cheeks to refrain from smiling,” said Ali Kopp also a junior on the squad.

During their routine they combined two contrasting ideas, cheer and chills. They blended these two ideas by using their national ranked traditional cheerleading routine with a frightening edge. They added unique dance moves that fit with the music to their new routine.

“We had two weeks to perfect this routine. We knew before the Oil Bowl we were going to do this routine, and after the Oil Bowl we really started to work on it. We all worked hard in practices to put this together in the short amount of time we had,” said Kopp.

Instead of the cheerleaders being the voice behind noise this time the Kelly Walsh student body was all on their feet for the cheerleaders’ performance.

“We thought the student body was really going to like the routine because it was something totally different that no one had done before,” said Kendra Brutsman, a junior.

The cheerleaders blew past all expectations with this number, everything from their music selection to their crazy up-dos were perfect. All three of these juniors on the cheer team agreed that Kelly Walsh will probably see more of these types of routines in the future, however nothing is set in stone yet.