Chosen to Lead

Sarah Retherford, Staff Writer

“FFA members, why are we here?”

From the sea of navy blue jackets, adorned with the emblem of the largest leadership organization in the world, rises one unified voice, answering with one bold mission: “To practice brotherhood, honor agricultural opportunities and responsibilities and develop those qualities of a leader in which an FFA member should possess.”

Concluding the final session of the 89th annual FFA Sate Convention, held April 5-8th in historic Cheyenne, Wyoming, the Wyoming FFA Association elects its new state officers, a team of nine students which will be tasked with leading the association in its mission for the year. After a grueling week of interviews, the new officers are called to the stage to close the ceremony and replace the former state officer team. This year, a Kelly Walsh student took the stage for the first time. Windy City FFA’s Quentin Motor received the honor of 2nd Vice President. Remembering the moments, Motor said, “I was excited! It was a rollercoaster of emotions.”

According to the Wyoming FFA Association, “The primary responsibility of a state FFA officer is to serve the Wyoming FFA Association in local, state and national activities in a way that will inform, motivate and inspire FFA members, advisors, state staff, teachers and others to achieve the mission, strategies and core goals of the organization.”

The responsibilities and requirements of a state officer entail much dedication. As part of his responsibilities as a state officer, Motor will travel the state performing countless other tasks for the organization. “As an officer, it’s my job to help plan activities and run events for the State FFA association. I am also expected to participate in events across the state to connect with other FFA members,” said Motor.

Visiting local FFA chapters, participating in State Fair, planning, preparing and conducting the State FFA Convention and being well-versed in current agricultural issues are just a few of the responsibilities of a state officer. Along with his new position, Motor will attend Casper College in the fall. The challenge of balancing all the requirements of an FFA state officer and the obligations that come with the turbulent life of a college freshman have not deterred Motor. “I have always done better under pressure, so I plan to focus on the things I need to do to succeed, even if that means living off caffeine,” said Motor.

A four year member of the Windy City FFA at Kelly Walsh, Motor has proven to excel in many different areas of the FFA. Motor has always been dedicated to his FFA chapter, serving as the 2016-2017 president of the chapter officer team and has participated in various career development events (CDEs), the competition events that members prepare for year-round. Poultry judging, meat judging, livestock judging, prepared public speaking, and job interview are some of the events that Motor has been involved in. Aside from CDEs, Motor sang and played guitar in the FFA talent show multiple times at state convention.

Becoming a state officer has been the culminating achievement of the senior’s FFA career. “I’ve wanted to be a State Officer since I was a freshman. For me, it’s always been about giving back to an organization that has given me so much. I want to do what I can to help students succeed and find what they are passionate about,” said Motor.

FFA is dedicated to cultivating new leaders, and, in those moments when the new officers take the stage, a powerful tradeoff occurs. The former officers pass the torch on, down the chain of new leaders, each individual adding their unique voice to the timeless mission of FFA, which only grows more and more vital as time goes on.